Finding just the right Alexandria Dentist for you can seem to be an insurmountable task, especially if you’re new to the area after you might have accepted a job far away from where you grew up and had professionals that you were with for a long time. Or maybe you feel that your old practitioner is not meeting your needs any longer.
In any case, there are some steps that you can take to find a new professional who can meet your needs and expectations as a patient:
• Contact the Medical Society for your city or county and obtain a listing of those dentists practicing in your area. This list should contain the exact address and phone number of all who are in your locale. If you don’t have a local society, you can obtain a similar list from your state, often sorted by city or town so that if there is no one in your town in particular, you might be able to find someone in a neighboring location that you can get to easily.
• In some instances if you have insurance that includes dental coverage or belong to an HMO, you might have to choose from a list of practitioners who are a part of their particular plan. If this is the case, you can obtain a list of participating providers directly from them.
• Ask any friends or colleagues if they can recommend any of the ones they go to themselves. See if the names they give you appear on any of the lists you have already researched. Why did they choose this particular person? Was it from another recommendation? Or was it someone they have been with for a long time? Did they have to make the choice based on a list provided to them by THEIR insurance plan? Is there anything they particularly like or dislike about this particular dentist?
• If you are looking to select a professional and do not have a limitation placed on you by your insurance, check with the office to see if the dentist accepts whatever insurance you have. If not, or you do not have dental coverage be aware that you might have to pay for smaller procedures like routine screenings and teeth cleanings using cash or a credit card. Ask what kinds of payment arrangements, if any, are possible for the more expensive procedures like tooth replacements through dentures, root canals, etc. Some credit lines are now being offered by dental professionals which are strictly for dental procedures.
• Once you have chosen a dentist, ask if you can make the first appointment one where you take time to discuss any issues or concerns with the dentist. If you have anxiety about seeing the dentist, you can make the dentist aware of your fears. Some practices now specialize in sedating the patient while the work is being done. Likewise, you need to make sure the dentist is willing to take the time to thoroughly explain anything you don’t understand when it comes to any procedure that is recommended.
There are other steps you can probably think of like making sure the dentist has a technical expertise or bedside manner that meet your expectations, but these are just a few tips you can use to get you started on your way to finding the proper Dentist in Alexandria Va for you.